Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11 Battery Park Memorial

 For three decades "The Sphere" stood in the plaza of the World Trade Center.  Now it is in Battery Park as a memorial to 9/11.  I can't believe it has been ten years. 

I was 14 when it happened and sitting in my French class waiting for my French teacher to show up.  When he did come into the classroom he was very somber and went straight to the front of the classroom and turned on the TV to the news.  I had never heard of the twin towers before and as I watched the plane hit the second tower I had no idea what was happening and still don't know why it did.

  This is a beautiful city that has had much loss and I never imagined I would be living in NYC ten years later.
 I work near Battery Park and so one day when I went to work I noticed that there were flags everywhere!  So I went to take a look at them.
 The flags fill the entire grass area of the park.
 The stripes are made from the names of the victims of 9/11. So pretty! I hope that the flags are given away and they are put to good use.
 
They also had flags of different countries surrounding the memorial flags.  Very subtle and I believe a nice tribute.

No comments: