Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Ice Skating in Central Park


          It finally snowed!!! I know who would have thought I would ever say that. This is the first time that I can remember that it actually snowed in NY since the freak storm we had on Halloween.  Last week I went ice skating for a church activity.  It snowed  during the night and in the morning and most of the streets were pretty much deserted most of the day. 


          Of course right when we got there and were ready to go on the ice the Zamboni came out to clean the ice.  After it was done it was skating time!!! I haven't been skating in a couple of years and it took me a couple of laps to get my groove on, but I was able to do it! Just like riding a bike you don't really forget.

 Waiting for the Zamboni to get done so we can ice skate!
My lovely plastic blue skates.  Let's just say I still have a blister from these, but it was worth it.
Central Park in front of the ice skating rink. 

          What made this night extra great was after we were done ice skating we went over to Steve's for yummy hot chocolate.  Before I moved here I was not a hot chocolate fan and I could count on one hand how many times I have had in my lifetime because it wasn't my favorite, but now it is growing on me. 

         Everyone is bundled up! It was a pretty cold day and I didn't want to freeze my butt off.  On the subway going to and from work the heat is usually on and there is so many bodies on the trains that I roast and I hate it, so I try to wear the least amount of winter clothing I can when I go out.  For this excursion it was the exception because I knew I would be outside for a long period of time.

        For ice skating I bundled myself up and wore a warm coat, tights underneath my jeans, socks and gloves.  All I needed was ear muffs and I would look like most of the people here who think that when it gets a little chilly they need to where ten layers.

          The rink played music while we were skating and it was interesting to listen to what is on the radio nowadays.   It is weird not recognizing any of the songs that I was listening to and as I tried to figure out who the artists were yea couldn't do it! I am so out of the loop.   


          I loved ice skating it was so much fun and I need to go more often.  People here really don't go outside if it snows I don't understand why.  Transportation is underground so it isn't like they have to drive in it which is what I hate doing.  You do have to walk outside in the cold, but that isn't too bad.

          I went to the post office while it was still snowing and it was deserted there was only four people in front of me instead of the usual ten.  Yet, it still took me forty-five minutes to get my package... Got to love having to go to the stupid post office when you have a package that is bigger than four by four inches!

No comments: