Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Opera - Barber of Seville

I love the Opera.  I know most people don't find it enjoyable, but it is so powerful and these people have an amazing talent that they are sharing especially at the MET this is the best of the best!  So, if you have never seen one don't knock it until you at least go to one.

Yes, I am really that close and I loved being able to see the characters up close and personal especially for a comedy, so you can see their expressions.  I could totally get use to these awesome seats...I am spoiled. 
The opera was in Italian, so this little screen was my interpreter.















I love this place. SO GORGEOUS!
I saw the comedy Barber of Seville which premiered in 1816 and the show lasted a little over three hours (which is short in opera terms).  I enjoyed seeing something different from the normal somber, depressing ones I usually see and end up a basket case at the end (which isn't a bad thing it means I enjoyed it enough to get emotionally involved).

We had amazing seats! Our seats are between $200-$300 depending on the show.  My friend came into town this week and she spent three hours waiting in line to get us these great seats and all I had to do was show up.  Not going to lie it was great!  The show was simple and fun and just nice to see people enjoying what they do and being able to share that talent with me.


It is about Count Almaviva who falls in love with Rosina and of course there is another man involved Rosina's guardian Dr. Bartolo.  She of course wants the Count not an old doctor.  What does a barber have to do with the show you ask??  Well, he is the one who hatches the plan to get them together and yes he really is a barber.  Let's just say he is a jack of all traits when persuaded with gold.

I enjoyed Figaro (the barber) and Dr. Bartolo voices, but the Count was ok.  Rosina was great and entertaining to watch. She reminded me a petulant teenager when she doesn't get her way which I loved because she did it so well.  I just wouldn't want her to be my daughter with that attitude.


 The Count singing to his love who won't come to the balcony (because she isn't there)...


Everyone taking bow. I really enjoyed the costumes and it reminded me of Pirates of the Caribbean (and of course Orlando Bloom he is a HOT pirate).  I know this is random, but the main soprano was a red head in the show and they put her in a gorgeous pink dress, but everyone knows red heads shouldn't wear pink! Yes, that is the first thought that came into my head when I saw her green would've been a much better choice.  Just my opinion though.  

No comments: